Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Dong Zhi Festival


The 'Dong Zhi' (冬至) Festival or Winter Solstice Festival is celebrated on 22 December every year. It is one of the most important festivals celebrated by Chinese around the world during the Dong Zhi solar term when the sunshine is the weakest and the daylight is the shortest.

Tang Yuan is a Chinese food that is traditionally eaten during this Festival. It is made from glutinous rice flour. The flour is mixed with a small amount of water to form balls and it is cooked in boiling water. Eating tang yuan with family signify unity and harmony within the family.

I had my tang yuan as breakfast this morning. My mum boiled the tang yuan in sweet soup made from palm sugar. Sweet and delicious. My mum told me that I am one year older and must be an obedient boy! Haha.

Anyway, wish everyone can have a happy reunion with his/her loved ones. Happy Dong Zhi Festival to ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment